Sam Houston Area Council has a great challenge each year to provide Scouts and Scouters who attend our camps with a great camping experience. The Sam Houston Area Council is looking for a few dedicated individuals to serve Scouting by being a staff member at one of the council's camps. The requirements are stiff; the jobs are demanding; the experience is exhilarating.
Staff members must:
- Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America (BeAScout.org).
- Be at least 16 years of age during camp (youth ages 15 can serve as a counselor-in-training).
- Exemplify the Scout Oath and Law.
- Complete an application
Camp Staff Interviews | February 2024
The Sam Houston Area Council seeks enthusiastic and dedicated youth to staff the spring weekend events and summer camp. Interviews are being conducted throughout February 2024 virtually. An application must be submitted prior to scheduling an interview time slot.
Schedule an Interview Staff Application
Staff will have the opportunity to:
- Make time for adventure: Join our team and enjoy more exciting camp weekends!
- Friendship, fellowship, and fun: Build lasting connections with fellow camp staff and inspire a new generation of Scouts.
- Leading by example: Become a role model for Scouts to positively impact their camp experience.
Camp Strake Summer Camp Staff
Great staff deliver a great camp experience! Available for motivated Scouts, Venturers, and Scouters. Serving as a summer camp staffer is an unforgettable experience. It is a chance to spend part of the summer working at a beautiful camp while teaching Scouts and having fun. Every day is fully rewarding to you as a staff member and to the campers in whose lives you have made a difference. Camp work is often demanding as there is a packed schedule serving campers, but the opportunities, rewards, and experiences available are endless. Serving on camp staff is a great way to spend a summer.
The Counselor in Training (CIT) is a volunteer program for 15-year-olds who are potential future staff members. CITs spend two weeks working and living with the great Camp Staff staff. During the mornings, CITs get a chance to see what staff life is like. During the afternoons, CITs work on advancements.
Bovay Scout Ranch: Cub Scout Camp Staff
The council is looking for dedicated volunteers and paid staff to serve Scouting by working at Adventure Camp weekends throughout the year and during Resident Camp in July at Bovay Scout Ranch in Navasota, TX. Submit applications to Geno Aguilar.
Why Apply for a Camp Staff Job?
Here are a few of the countless reasons that are frequently expressed:
- To make lots of new friends in your area, other states, and even other countries
- To spend a summer in the great outdoors where nature prevails
- To acquire experiential education (learning by doing) and new skills that will last a lifetime
- To be part of an effective team and to cooperate with others to get things done
- To learn how to lead others and to apply leadership skills
- To undertake and fulfill meaningful challenges and to earn the satisfaction of doing a job well
- To work with youth and adults of all ages
- To serve others (the noblest and fulfilling pursuit of all)
- To give something back for the opportunities you have received
- To live in a wholesome environment based on the Scout Oath and Scout Law
- To have meaningful spiritual experiences
- To have the advice, counsel, and support of senior staff who are dedicated to helping you succeed
- To be paid and receive food and lodging in return for something challenging and fun
- To be considered for jobs of greater responsibility and to receive letters of recommendation for other pursuits
Why work at a fast food or retail establishment focusing on sales when you can have opportunities like these that will prepare you for more meaningful endeavors?